Thursday, January 26, 2012

Exhilaration

The American Heritage Dictionary defines "Exhilaration" as    "The state of being stimulated, refreshed, or elated."
Sometimes all it takes to experience these feelings is to step outside on a sunny day.

The Haiku

scent of new mown grass
sunbeam caresses my cheek
living...feeling...aaaaah...
For the art work that I was preparing to go with this haiku - I didn't want to be too structured.  I wanted to indicate an almost childlike feeling of exhilaration with my composition and color choices.
At the same time, as a developing art quilter, I wanted to incorporate a couple of new techniques and see "what if"?
First off I used a "blah" pastel print in lieu of plain muslin as my base. I didn't mind that it partly "showed through" - just felt it added some interest.


I felt that color was of first importance in this piece - so before doing anything else I painted my background using acrylic paint.  In order to add some texture to the piece I used some Golden Light Molding Paste to parts of the grassy area.    
I quilted it extensively with heavy thread.  
Guila Greer






1 comment:

Martha Dennis said...

I love your use of color in this one, and particularly your stitched grass and the wind lines in the sky.